Carrot Seed Essential Oil
The stems of carrot plant can grow to about 2 feet high with leaves that embrace the stem and blossoms/flowers that are very small. It is the root of the cultivated carrot not the wild carrot that bears the edible vegetable.
- Botanical Family: Apiaceae
- Other Common Names: Wild Carrot, Bishop's Lace, Queen Anne's Lace
- Part of Plant Used: Seeds
- Method of Extraction: Steam distillation
- Variations: Typically, it is stream distilled, but it can also be solvent extracted or through C02 extraction. Carrot Seed Essential Oil is not to be confused with Carrot Seed Oil, which is a carrier oil with different therapeutic qualities.
- Chemistry: Carrot Seed is comprised of sesquiterpenes (daucene, β-bisabolene) and sesquiterpene alcohols (carotol).
- Skin: Benefits the skin in many ways and is a great wound healer. It is also a regenerative skin healer and can be used to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and other signs of aging.
- Nervous System: supports restful sleep
- Lymphatic: supports liver function.
- Emotional: helps with letting go, finding stability, and is emotionally grounding
- Spiritual: Supports the Sacral Chakra focusing on relationship energy coupled with the Heart Chakra's support of unconditional love, giving balance and perspective to the Third Eye Chakra.
- Scent Profile: Mid note that has a mildly sweet aroma with earthy, herbaceous undertones
- Longevity: The aroma of Carrot Seed can last up to 96 hours.
- Fragrance Classification: Herbaceous
- Blends well with: Cistus, German chamomile, Helichrysum, Lavandin, Lavender, Roman chamomile, Rosemary, and Yarrow
- May interfere with gestation, avoid all routes during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Products Using Carrot Seed Essential Oil
- “Flavor, Fragrance, Food and Cosmetics Ingredients Information.” The Good Scents Company, The Good Scents Company (TGSC), 2019, www.thegoodscentscompany.com/.
- Shutes, Jade and New York Institute of Aromatic Studies. "Foundations of Aromatherapy" and "Aromatic Scholars" Aromatherapy Certification Programs and Course Materials. 2017-2019.
- Tiran, Denise. “Is It Safe to Use Essential Oils While I'm Pregnant?” BabyCentre UK, BabyCentre Blog, July 2013, www.babycentre.co.uk/x536449/is-it-safe-to-use-essential-oils-while-im-pregnant.
- Tisserand, Robert, et al. Essential Oil Safety: a Guide for Health Care Professionals. 2nd ed., Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier, 2014.