Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender is a bushy shrub with purple flowers that is grown in France, Bulgaria, England, and the United States.
- Botanical Family: Lamiaceae
- Other Common Names: French Lavender, Fine Lavender, True Lavender, High Altitude or Elevation Lavender.
- Part of Plant Used: Leaves, Flowers, Buds
- Method of Extraction: Steam Distillation
- Variations: Lavender is typically steam distilled, but also available as an Absolute. There are several varieties of Lavender: Lavandin, Cotton Lavender, Lavender Mailette, Spanish Lavender, and Spike Lavender.
- Chemistry: Lavender is compromised of esters (linalyl acetate, lavandulyl acetate) and monoterpene alcohols (linalool, terpinen-4-ol).
- Circulatory: helps to reduce blood pressure and heart palpitations
- Digestive: relieves stress-related digestive upsets
- Musculoskeletal: pain relief for muscular and joint aches, pains, spasms, and strains.
- Skin: soothes inflamed skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis, treats slow healing wounds
- Nervous System: calms stress and anxiety, uplifts depressive states, promotes healthy sleep, and helps with headaches and migraines
- Reproductive: PMS symptom relief, helps to regulate menstrual cycles, helps to increase progesterone production as well as testosterone production
- Pregnancy: Helps with breast/chest tenderness, clogged milk ducts, abdominal discomfort, heartburn, stretch marks, immune support, sleep and relaxation, swollen feet, pre-birth perineal prep and general discomfort. It can also be used in labor and delivery.
- Babies & Children: is sedative, calming, soothing and can be used for sleep issues, also has anti-inflammatory properties and can be used for insect bites and diaper rash
- Spiritual: supports the Heart chakra associated with love, relationships, transformation, and integration
- Scent Profile: Mid note with a floral, herbaceous aroma
- Longevity: The aroma of Lavender can last up to 8 hours.
- Fragrance Classification: Herbaceous
- Lavender blends well with: Benzoin, Bitter Orange, Blood Orange, Clary sage, Frankincense, Geranium, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lemon, Magnolia, Mandarin, Monarda, Musk, Myrrh, Neroli, Peach, Peppermint, Petitgrain, Roman Chamomile, Rose, Rosemary, Rosewood, Sandalwood, Spearmint, Sweet Orange, Vanilla, Ylang Ylang
- Lavender Absolute blends well with: Angelica, Bergamot, Bitter Orange, Blood Orange, Cardamom, Cedarwood, Cassie, Cistus, Citronella, Clary Sage, Clove, Coriander, Cypress, Fir, Frankincense, Galbanum, Geranium, Hay, Helichrysum, Jasmine, Juniper, Labdanum, Laurel, Lavandin, Lemon, Lime, Mandarin, Marjoram, Neroli, Nutmeg, Oakmoss, Orange, Orris, Patchouli, Pine, Roman Chamomile, Rose, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Thyme, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang
- No known issues
- Lavender Absolute poses a moderate risk of skin sensitization.
Products Using Lavender Essential Oil
- Arctander, Steffen. Perfume and Flavor Materials of Natural Origin. A Pathfinder Book Reprint Edition, 2017.
- Clark, Demetria. Aromatherapy and Herbs for Pregnancy, Birth and Breastfeeding. Book Publishing Company, 2015.
- “Flavor, Fragrance, Food and Cosmetics Ingredients Information.” The Good Scents Company, The Good Scents Company (Tgsc), 2019, www.thegoodscentscompany.com/.
- International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists. “PREGNANCY GUIDELINES Guidelines for Aromatherapists Working with Pregnant Clients.” International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists , IFPA, 2013, www.ifparoma.org.
- National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy. “Other Safety Considerations: Pregnancy.” National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy, naha.org/explore-aromatherapy/safety#other.
- Shutes, Jade and New York Institute of Aromatic Studies. "Foundations of Aromatherapy" and "Aromatic Scholars" Aromatherapy Certification Programs and Course Materials. 2017-2019.
- Tiran, Denise. Aromatherapy in Midwifery Practice. Singing Dragon an Imprint of Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2016.
- Tiran, Denise. “Is It Safe to Use Essential Oils While I'm Pregnant?” BabyCentre UK, BabyCentre Blog, July 2013, www.babycentre.co.uk/x536449/is-it-safe-to-use-essential-oils-while-im-pregnant.
- Tisserand, Robert, et al. Essential Oil Safety: a Guide for Health Care Professionals. 2nd ed., Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier, 2014.